As I don’t know much about the movie I was hoping it to not be a bore but expect the unexpected I enjoyed it so much that I clapped unintentionally at certain point in the movie. The opening scene itself will captivate you when the survival of the fittest is shown in a simple yet meaningful style and the “end of the world ” is mentioned little later by “the Guy”! The croods are always the proud survivors who are cavemen who practically live in forest among other animals and behave more like them and less like humans ! The father Grug (Nicolas Cage) thinks that it is his strength and over protective nature that helped his family to live a normal life every day much to the depression of Eep (Emma Stone) his elder daughter . The father daily narrates bed time stories which end in death and despair if guidelines and the parents’ foot steps are ignored. The family includes Grug’s wife Ugga (Catherine Keener), his daughter Sandy (Randy Thom), son Thunk (Clark Duke) and his mother-in-law (Cloris Leachman) . They are tuned to the robotic mode of life and behave like machines which are given commands. When others monotonously obey Grug’s rules Eep the most adventurous and curious of all pays deaf ear to her dad’s continuous warnings that curiosity kills the cat and escapes from the cave exploring the direction lit by a flame torch . She meets the Guy (Ryan Reynolds) and his ‘pet’ sloth, Belt (Chris Sanders), She falls for his intelligence almost instantly.
The rest of the story is about how Guy guides them to a safe zone and how well he explains to the Croods family that safety doesn’t mean to sit in a dark cave . It means to explore the world and see a “tomorrow’. Grug remains rigid and continues his stories with sad-end. In the end when every one is impressed by the guy , his positivity and the hope to live a better life Grug gets extremely jealous and tries hard to imitate the guy but fails big time! Slowly they bond and together they all venture out to a new tomorrow! Grug saves every one using his brilliant ideas and saves him self just in time which leads to a happy ending unlike his stories !
I have always been a fan of animation movies made by dream works be it Kungfu Panda , Shrek, Puss in boots or Madagascar . Any animated movie is not just for kids. They have a subtle moral which is unfolded in such a simple and sweet manner that you cant help but love the movie. My mom dad who never actually enjoy the animations enjoyed “The croods” experience due to many human emotions embedded in it , the sensitivities , the father-daughter bonding which actually is touchy when Eep blows horn so that her father will hear and come back to them!
The hope which never dies is shown very beautifully in the movie. My mom is all set to watch “The Shrek” series now 🙂
|From left – Thunk , Gran , Sandy , Ugga, Eep, Grug . Ain’t they a lovely family ?!|
Some memorable scenes:
- The Gran/ Mother in law was adorable in her own unique way. It was hilarious when she says “STILL ALIVE!” which saddens Grug 🙂
- When Grug tries imitating “The Guy” he wears a wig so as to resemble him. When Ugga asks what is he wearing on his head, Gran replies “Desperation!” I clapped at this scene. Its outright hilarious and the expressions are so damn natural.
- The scene where the guy draws on the stone with a chalk to represent “The brain” from where ideas come much to bemusement of Thunk who is shocked as he feels he has no brain is funny.
|The cutest character “belt” , The guy and Eep !! This is such an “Aww” capture to me!|
Quotes from the book and the movie:
- It’s the belief that something great is out there just beyond your reach and the willingness to make the extra effort in getting there.If it were already a known entity, we wouldn’t be doing it. It wouldn’t be interesting.
- Gran: Where do you get these ideas from. Guy: Ha, I am calling it – A BRAIN. I am pretty sure its where ideas come from
- Your whole world can evolve to an unrecognizable point, but the thing that is constant is the bond between family. That will never change.
Go live with the croods family for some 98 min and get rejuvenated. The belt and Sandy say “Ta Ta Taaaa” in the end which will make you all giggle !!
“Croods at box office”
Croods truly is like an animated “Avatar” . Do check this site. Its fun –http://www.thecroodsmovie.com/
Some thing which I felt like an icing on the cake is “The croods” association with “The makers of Angry birds” (Rovio). The below special click by me is dedicated to this association as I immensely love AngryBirds too. The Croods game is available on App store “here”!
|The happy belt trying to make “Angry” birds smile 😉 A hug can change the world !! Clicked by me.|
PS: I have copied the movie images from google and few links from Wikipedia and IMDB