This was some 10 years back!
My friend : ROFL. That was a good video right ?
The ignorant me : hehe . Ya funny but what is ROFL?
I initially thought ROFL was the title of the video or may be it was my new nick name.
My friend : LOL. You kidding me. You really don’t know what ROFL is ?
Now I was actually stumped as I didn’t know what LOL is.
Me : You are irritating me now. What is LOL for heavens sake?
Then he passed me on a link with the most commonly used internet slang. I was surprised to know many words and had to learn them to improve the cyber-links with friends. My attempt seemed LOL worthy to myself.
LOL became a part and parcel of my life since then.Some times I genuinely laughed loud, some times just for the heck of it I used it but the word for sure made me smile, specially when friends type it in caps with 3 to 4 smileys like this . LOL 🙂 🙂 🙂 . I feel glad that I was able to make them laugh. I also learnt GTG (Got to Go) , BRB (Be right back) ,TTYL (Talk to you later) and many more much to the irritation of my eldest cousin sis who is oblivious to all this.
Coming to “LOL”, other than in the digital relations and conversations do you really LOL outside the laptop too ? Do you actually LOL even inside the laptop? Think of it ? Do you find humor in one thing or the other ? When some thing serious is bothering you , do you try to divert your self and laugh out loud ? Below is one scenario which made me LOL when I was not really in a LOL mood !
One day I was pissed off due to so many things. Maid was on an unplanned leave. Our car’s bumper got damaged due to some accident and it was a hot humid day with too many power cuts. I was tired after all the work and resembled some one who is just out of a battle field. With untidy, unkempt hair and tearful eyes and disheveled clothes I switched on the laptop hoping internet may do some miracle. Miraculously a friend forwarded me some video which made me laugh really loud.
I laughed horribly and endlessly. There are many such funny forwards which instantly change my mood. Though I won’t be the happiest soul from that point of time,I definitely feel the load gets lighter and the laugh makes me feel better every time. I was surprised thinking being an Indian I feel Punjabi mumbo jumbo confusing then how come this foreigner could get those words almost right. Its LOL worthy :). Do watch.
When ever you feel down it’s always good to crack up in the company of a good friend. A what’s-app forward , a funny forward mail or SMS – any thing which is actually funny makes me laugh. The below Rajnikanth joke which is the best Rajni joke so far left me in splits yesterday.
|It means : “You fools ! There is some limit. Who will say
that Rajnikant is born even before his dad. His expression is apt
for that joke and made me LOL.
PS: For those who don’t know who is Rajnikant , do not ask the question loud. Let me whisper in your ears, “He is a South Indian super star who is almost a super hero here and the jokes are framed just to show nothing is impossible for him :). He or his zillions of fans may sue you if you don’t know him”:) So silently google out who Rajnikant is and what are Rajnikant jokes? The jokes are pathetic. Nevertheless they are hilarious and rib tickling at times.By the way I am a fan of Rajni too. His movies never bore me.
- I some times excavate my mail box and laugh out loud by seeing few old fun mail chains and conversations.
- I call up my friends and remind them about that mail or some thing else which definitely makes them LOL and the day becomes so light and breezy.
- Non-veg jokes don’t make me LOL but they definitely tickle the nerve which brings smiles 😉
- When you are working these fun forwards are the only LOL elements to make the mundane hours bearable.
- I love to tune to few comedy shows and sitcoms to forget the stress of the day.“Big Bang theory” is my most favorite show till date. All Star world sit coms are funny. Two and a half men is one more favorite. America’s funniest videos and just for gags also make me LMAO.
- Unfortunately we have very less fun sitcoms or humorous TV shows in India. I was a big fan of “Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai” and watch it online even now when ever I need a real good laugh.
- I get glued to the humor blogs. Any random blogs which can make me smile are my favorites for that day. While there are many, my favorite is mashedmusings (https://mashedmusings.wordpress.com/). I love gags by “Garbage Bin” (Do check this . You won’t regret. Only limitation is they are mostly in Hindi). I also love cartoons like Shin-chan on Hungama, any random satirical or humorous articles or books which I can finish with out a break , Calvin-Hobbes , Garfield jokes and many more.
- Not sure if many of you know him but I love watching any scene or a movie where “Brahmanandam” acted . He is an Indian actor and South Indian Comedian who also holds the Guinness record. Even if Paresh Rawal and Boman Irani make me laugh some times Brahmanandam beats them all.
- Some other people who are my favorites and make me LOL most of the times are Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey and many more but Jim Parsons aka “Sheldon Cooper” tops the charts. He is the foreign Brahmanandam to me even if the genres which they chose to act are different 🙂
- Never think twice before you share a fun moment with people you like. It just multiplies the smiles. Some times when I am really enjoying I don’t even get hungry !
- Laughter boosts the immune system, endorphins and relaxes your muscles.
- I read some where that it takes 43 muscles to frown and just 17 to laugh. So is it not better to stop being grumpy and laugh little more?
- Laughter is the best medicine. Of course laughing with out a reason and laughing at any one and any thing means you actually are in need of some medicine ;-/
“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”
― Robert Frost
PS: I don’t own the images and videos.
This is my 12th post for “A to Z blogging Challenge 2013” !